Lodging and Tourism
LODGING AND TOURISM IN BARTLETT, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Aside from the railroad, tourism may have been Bartlett's second largest industry. We have identified about 70 historical lodging establishments, although there are probably a few more that have
been forgotten. Many of the names are for the same
buildings during different time periods.
The various Inns and Lodgings are broken down into three separate sections as shown in the links below:
As with everything else in this website, WE WELCOME YOUR INPUT for updates, corrections, additions or whatever else. Use the "CONTACT US" link in the left
column. We would like to hear from you !
Abenaki, the (Upper Bartlett Village)
1. Bartlett House (the) 1856-1892
2. Beechwood (the) 1977-present Red Apple Inn
4. Bide-a-Wee 1920-1941
Broadview (Intervale 1924)
5. Cannells Camps
6. Castner’s Camps 1930-1950?
7. Cave Mountain House (the) 1890-1905
8. Cedarcroft 1892-1953
9. Centre Bartlett House Joseph Mead
10. Charlie’s Cabins 1930-1960
11. Cole’s Camps 1935-Present Better Life Cabins
12. Comstock Inn
13. Country Squire Motor Lodge 1966-present
15. East Branch House 1810-1898
16. Elmcrest 1930-1940
18. Elms (the)
19. Emerson Inn - burned in 1948
20. Fairview Cottage 1854-
21. Forest (the)
22. Forest Inn
Fosscroft 1928-1950 (replaced the Langdon House
Garland (the) 1905-
24. Gateway, the 1890-1990 The Target/Abenaki
25. Glendennings Camps 1932-
26. Glenwood by the Saco
Goodrich Falls Cabins
Headlands, the (intervale)
27. Howard (the) 1912-1989
28. Intervale House, the 1860-29. Linderhoff Motor Lodge 1966-1995
30. Lone Maple Cottage 1930-1960
31. Langdon House 1880 -
32. Maple Cottage 1920-1950
33. Maple Dale Cottage 1928-1959
34. Maple Villa
Meadowbrook 1945-Present Wills Inn
Mt Surprise Cottage
35. Mountain Home Cabins 1931-present
SEE THE MAP
FROM THE AILEEN CARROLL BOOK TITLED "THE
LATCHSTRING WAS ALWAYS OUT, A HISTORY OF LODGING HOSPITALITY AND
TOURISM IN BARTLETT, NH"
current Mountain Home Cabins originated in the early 19th
century, probably as a stage stop. It was originally part of the Stillings family land It became the property of James and Emeline Nute They sold the business to Clifton and Lucille Garland. The cabins were built two per year starting in 1931. In the 1920's, before the cabins, it operated as a campground. Cabins being a seasonal operation allowed Lucille to be a school teacher in Bartlett and Clifton tended milking cows. The property continues to be operated by Clifton's grand children who also operate Bear Notch Ski Touring Company from the site.
Source Material from "The Latchstring Was Always Out" by Aileen Carroll, 1994
Lodging Establishments Past and Present. IF YOU HAVE ANY
STORIES OR CORRECTIONS PLEASE TELL US.
Bits and Pieces
Bartlett, NH Tavern Fire, Apr 1879
THE BARTLETT FIRE.----Our Conway correspondent writes that the loss to Mr. N. T. Stillings of Bartlett, whose tavern stand and out-buildings were destroyed by fire on the 3d, is $5000, with no insurance. The loss will be a heavy one to Mr. S., whose popular tavern and stage lines were so well known among the pilgrims to "the Switzerland of America." The fire is thought to have originated from a defective chimney. The family of Mr. S, was away at the time of the fire.
The New Hampshire Patriot, Concord, NH 13 Apr 1879
The 10th NH Turnpike
through Crawford Notch in the White Mountains, incorporated by the NH Legislature in December 1803, ran westward from the Bartlett / Hart’s Location town line for a distance of 20 miles. In today’s terminology, that would be from about Sawyer’s Rock to the intersection of the Cog Railway Base Station Road with Route 302. It cost a little over $35,000 to build and it was functioning by late 1806.
The intent of the investors was to build a road ......snip.......The
remainder of this excellent article can be found at the website
of White Mountain History. This is the