Doctor Shedd Ancestry
The Doctor Harold Shedd that some of us old folks
can remember visiting in our childhood was
Born in Bartlett in 1882,
he graduated from Harvard in 1910, then spent several years in Boston and New York hospitals before returning to North Conway to practice with his father, also a country doctor.
(see left column)
What trauma he treated in the teens and 1920s came mainly from farm and logging accidents, and the occasional mountaineering mishap like the Jesse Whitehead accident on Mt. Washington that gained wide press attention in 1926.
As interest in skiing accelerated in the 1930s, Dr Shedd's winters became increasingly occupied with treating sprains and fractures originating on the mountains and slopes of the region. He devised a new way to cast broken limbs that left openings to accommodate swelling, allowing patients to spend minimal time in the hospital. By virtue of his location in one of the hotbeds of skiing activity in the 1930s and 1940s he became one of the first experts in treating ski injuries in the country. Memorial Hospital gained expertise in the field along with him,alist in the treatment of ski injuries.
In 1924 Dr. Shedd married Gertrude Greeley,
the daughter of Adolphus W. Greeley, who was well known for his arctic expedition to Lady Franklin Bay from 1882-1884, and later became Chief Signal Officer for the US Army. When his father-in-law was presented with the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1935 for his arctic exploits, Dr. Shedd was kept from attending at the last minute by the need to minister to a casualty of Mt. Washington.
Dr. Shedd died in 1964
while making a house call on Kearsarge Street in North Conway. His several legacies live on in the valley; one is Memorial Hospital itself, which he shepherded through its early years, at one point even re-locating the hospital into his own house for a year while finances stabilized. Evidence of his medical handiwork can even now be seen in the dim scars on a few of his local patients, whose wounds from mowing machines and axes he stitched. His other legacy is the community of skiers which he and his associates--Carroll Reed, Harvey Gibson, Joe Dodge, Bob Davis, Bill Whitney among them--did so much to create in the Eastern Slope Region.
Originally published in the 2004 Hannes Schneider Meister Cup Race Program, March 2004.
Jeff Leich Executive Director of New England Ski Museum for letting us use part
of the article.
Who's who in New England: a biographical dictionary of leading living men
... By Albert Nelson Marquis 1919
SHEDD, Qeorge Horsley, M.D. : b. Waterford, Me., Feb. 13, 1953; s. George and Rebecca (Frost) Shedd, and descendant of Daniel Shedd. an early settler of Braintree, Mass.; prep. edn. Norway Liberal Inst.; M.D., Med. Sch. of Me. (Bowdoln Coll.), 1879; post-grad, work in New York, Phlla., Berlin, and hosps. of Berne, London. Paris and Edinburgh; m. Norway, Me., May 16, 1880, Mary Hall:
1 son. George Harold. Practiced at Bartlett, N.H
., and Fryeburg, Me., until 1891, since at North Conway, N.H. ; Burgeon-ln-chlef Memorial Hosp. ; mem. N.H. Bd. of Med. Examiners. Republican. Fellow Am. Coll. Surgeons: mem. Carroll Co. and Me. State med. socs.. A.M.A. Mason (K.T.). Recreations: pine tree farming. Address: North Conway, N.H.
family history of the state of New Hampshire: a ..., Volume 4
By Ezra S. Stearns, William Frederick
(Ed. note: George Horsley is
(VIII ) George Horsley Shedd, son of George and Rebecca (Frost) Shedd,
was born in Waterford, Maine, February 13, 1853. George Horsley's preliminary education was obtained in the public schools of Norway, Maine, and in the Norway Liberal Institute. After teaching a few years he entered the Medical School of Maine, from which lie graduated in June, 1879. His further medical education was obtained by post-graduate work in New York. Philadelphia, Berlin, and the hospitals of Berne, London. Paris, and Edinburgh. He is a member of the New Hampshire Board of Medical Examiners, of the Conway Board of Health, of his county, state and the Maine Medical Societies, also of the American Medical Association. He is a Mason, being a member of Mt. Washington Lodge and Signet Royal Arch Chapter of North Conway, and of St. Girard Commandery, Knights Templar, of Littleton, New Hampshire.
He commenced the practice of medicine in Bartlett, New Hampshire, during the summer of 1879,
and in the spring of 1883 moved to Fryeburg. Maine, where he resided until 1891, when he removed to North Conway, where he has since resided and been actively engaged in the practice of his profession.
He married, May 15, 1880, Mary Hall,
daughter of Solcman Smith and Emily Augusta (Warren) Hall. She decended on the paternal side from Hate Evil Hall, son of one of three brothers who came from England and settled in New Hampshire. Hate Evil Hall (2) was born at Dover, New Hampshire, in 1707, and afterward settled in Falmottth, Maine, where he died, November 28, 1797. He married Sarah Furbish, of Kfttery, Maine, by whom he had thirteen children: Dorothy. Daniel, Hate Evil, Mercy, Ebenezer, Abigail, William, John, Jedediah, Andrew, Nicholas, Paul and Silas. Jedediah (3), son of Hate Evil and Sarah (Furbush) Hall, married (first). Hannah Hussey, and (second), Elizabeth Clough. His children were: Peter, Joel, Elizabeth, Aaron, Mercy, Moses, Abigail, David, Jonathan, Ann and Dorcas. Jonathan (4), son of Jedediah, married Mary, daughter of Joshua Smith, who was town treasurer of Norway, Maine, for twenty years. Soloman Smith Hall (5), son of Jonathan and Mary (Smith) Hall, was born at Norway, Maine, June 10, 1821, and died at Waterford, Maine, January 8, 1895. He married (first), November, 1852, Emily Augusta Warren, granddaughter of Abijah Warren, who was born in Taunton. Massachusetts, October 15, 1762, and at the age of thirteen entered active service as minuteman in the battle of Lexington, and served with distinction throughout the Revolutionary war. She was born in Paris, Maine, April 22, 1832, and died in Norway, Maine, August 29, 1861. Of this marriage there were born three children: Mary, Julia and Lizzie E. He married (second), Olivia G. Warren, by whom one child was born : Sidney Smith Hall, now living in Waterford, Maine.
Mary, daughter of Soloman Smith and Emily (Warren) Hall, and wife of Dr. George H. Shecld, was born in Norway, Maine, March 6, 1854. They have one child, George Harold, born in Bartlett, New Hampshire, November 1, 1882.
He is a graduate of Harvard University, A. B. 1905, and is now a student in Harvard Medical School.
has always been active in educational and charitable work. She is ex-president of the North Comvay Woman's Club, of which she is one of the founder's ; president of the Woman's Educational League ; vice-regent of Anna Stickney Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, an3 chairman of the industrial and child labor committee of both the New Hampshire Federation of Woman's Clubs and New Hampshire Daughters of the American Revolution.
John Z. Shedd was born at Norway, Maine, July 8, 1861
. During the autumn of 1884 he went to Fryeburg. Maine, and entered Fryeburg Academy, from which he was graduated in 1886. The two following years were devoted to teaching and reading medicine. In 1891 the degree of M. D. was received from the Medical School of Maine, at Brunswick, since which time he has taken several post-graduate courses in New York.
In 1891 he began the practice of medicine at North Conway, New Hampshire, where he has since resided
and has met with a good degree of success. He is a member of his county, state and the Maine medical societies, as well as of the American Medical Association. Early in his twenty-first years he was made a Mason in Oxford Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Norway, Maine, and during the following year joined Union Royal Arch Chapter in the same town. He later withdrew from these societies to become a member of similar bodies* in the town of his adoption, where he has been an active Masonic worker, being past high priest of his chapter, of which he is a charter member. In more recent years he has become a member of St. Girard Commandery, Knights Templar, at Littleton, New Hampshire, and also of Bektash Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Concord, New Hampshire.
Myrtie Nina Shedd was born at Norway, Maine, September 16, 1875. Alton Brackett Shedd was born at the same place, February 17, 1880.
AAbout two years after the birth of the latter, the children with their parents removed to Waterford, where they resided until after the death of their father, in 1893. Later, with their mother, they removed to Fryeburg, Maine, where both were graduated from Fryeburg Academy. On September 20, 1899, Myrtie N. was married to Dr. Byron W. McKeen. a native of Fryeburg, and a classmate in the academy. He received his M. D. from the Medical School of Maine, and, after serving one year as house physician at the Maine Insane Hospital, settled in Saxony, Massachusetts, where by his pleasing personality and medical skill he built up a large and lucrative practice. He died of pneumonia. May 7, 1903, at the age of twenty-eight years. Shortly after his sister had become settled in Massachusetts, Alton B. and his mother removed to the same town and household, where they all have continued to reside. Alton B. accepted a position with the Dennison Manufacturing Company at South Framingham, where he has been advanced to becoming the head of one of its departments.
Shedd Woods is located on Route 16 and 302 directly across the highway from the
Memorial Hospital. This 13-acre parcel is named for Dr. Harold Shedd, the former
owner. Received by the Town in 1973 partly as a gift from the Pequawket Foundation as
well as federal monies from the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
The property is forested primarily with tall White Pines, thus creating a special overhead
forest canopy, giving the landscape a dark, deep, cool and quite atmosphere.
A picnic area at the edge of the drop off down to the Saco River floodplain opens up a
“photo op” of the Saco Valley and the Moat Mountains just beyond in the National
A connecting parcel, also given to the Town by the Pequawket Foundation, gives access
to Shedd Woods from River Road. This long, narrow 3-acre lot on the east bank of the
Saco River is primarily an open field maintained by the Town for picnicking, sunbathing,
and swimming in the Saco.