Bartlett Cemeteries
Name Basic Location Driving/Walking Directions USGS UTM  GPS Coordinates
The Doctor's Cemetery River Street and Cobb Farm Road Take River St. north from 302 and turn west onto Cobb Farm Road. Near this interesection, on the north side, is the Mt. Langdon trailhead. Park and walk a few yards up the trail to the fenced gravesite for Dr. Eudy. 19T 316946mE 4883797mN 44.084482 -71.286427 or 44°05'04"N -071°17'11"W
Dundee Cemetery East side of Dundee Road, 2 mi north of its intersection with 16A Take Dundee Road north from 16A for 2 mi. Cemetery is on a lane off the east side of the road, next to a white cape. This cemetery is partially in Jackson. 19T 329110mE 4888291mN 44.127853 -71.136052 or 44°07'40"N  -071°08'10"W
Garland Ridge Cemetery (AKA Bartlett Village Cemetery) North side of 302, 2 mi east of Bartlett  Take 302 east out from the center of Bartlett about 2 miles.  The large cemetery is easily visible on the north side, before the railroad crossing. 19T 320203mE 4883424mN 44.081932 -071.245649 or 44°04'55"N -071°14'44"W
Glen Cemetery (AKA Bartlett Town Cemetery) North side of 302, 0.75 mi west of Glen From the intersection of 16 in Glen, take 302 west for 0.75 mi. The large cemetery is easily visible on the north side. 19T 324537mE 4886012mN 44.106263 -071.192413 or 44°06'23"N -071°11'33"W
Hill Cemetery West side of West Side Road,  2 mi east of 302 From 302, take West Side Road northeast for almost exactly 2 mi. On the inside of a curve to the south, there is an old driveway with the remnants of a structure next to it. There is also a small cellar hole across the road, but few safe places to park. Walk south along the old driveway, which stays up on the ridge as the road drops down. The cemetery is a few hundred yards away, surrounded by granite posts. 19T 325948mE 4885139mN
44.09875 -071.17451 or 44°05'56"N -071°10'28"W
Intervale Cemetery West side of 16A, 0.5 mi north of its lower intersection with 16 in Intervale From 16 in Intervale, turn onto 16A and drive north for 0.5 mi. The large cemetery is easily visible on the west side. 19T 328624mE 4883556mN 44.085134 -071.140585 or 44°05'06"N -071°08'26"W
Old Catholic Cemetery Yates Farm Road Take River St. north from 302 and turn east onto Yates Farm Road. Folow the road ~0.4mi (past the last house and halfway into a meadow). Head due north into the woods ~0.1mi. There are a few stones standing and many grave depressions, but GPS will be necessary for location. Private property--obtain permission from the Garlands at the last house. 19T 317675mE 4883905mN 44.08563 -071.27737 or 44°05'08"N -071°16'39"W
Rogers Cemetery Yates Farm Road Take River St. north from 302 and turn east onto Yates Farm Road. Follow the road ~0.7mi (past the last house, through a meadow, and almost to the second meadow). The cemetery is just inside the woods to the north. Private property--obtain permission from the Garlands at the last house. 19T 317967mE 4883776mN 44.084546 -71.273680 or 44°05'04''N  -071°16'25"W
St. Joseph's Cemetery South side of 302, 1.5 mi east of Bartlett Take 302 east out from the center of Bartlett about 1.5 mi. The large cemetery is easily visible on the south side. 19T 319533mE 4883239mN 44.080104 -071.253948 or 44°04'48"N -071°15'14"W
Stillings-Towle Cemetery (AKA Nute's Hill) North side 302 just west of Bartlett From the center of Bartlett, drive west past the post office, over the railroad tracks and ~0.2mi further. The cemetery is to the north in the side yard of the garage, surrounded by granite walls and trees. 19T 316380mE 4882911mN 44.076363 -71.293188 or 44°04'35"N -071°17'35"
Other Cemeteries Near Bartlett
Glidden Field Cemetery (AKA Parker-Cobb Cemetery or Sawyer's River Cemetery) In Hart's Location. North side of 302 about 1/4 mile west of Bartlett Drive 3.6mi west on 302 from Bartlett center. Park around 44.083387 -71.347577 at a small dirt drive. Follow the drive over the tracks then veer right onto an old road (stone walls) that parallels the tracks and heads southeast. The cemetery is on the east side of the old road, about 300 yds from the start. It is overgrown but surrounded by granite posts. 19T 312282mE 4883604mN 44.081565 -71.344570 or 44°04'54"N -071°20'40"W
Moulton Cemetery (AKA Cobb Farm Cemetery) In Hart's Location. North side of Cobb Farm Road Park where Cobb Farm Road crosses the railroad tracks at Raccoon Run Road. Walk east on the tracks 0.1 mi. The small cemetery will be visible in the woods on the north side of the tracks. 19T 314217mE 4883275mN 44.07910 -071.32030 or 44°04'45"N -071°19'13"W
Dinsmore Cemetery In North Conway. Just south of the Intervale Scenic Vista, behind the 1785 Inn Drive behind the 1785 Inn and follow the road (Balcony Seat View) to its end at a house. The cemetery is visible in the yard. 19T 328387mE 4882393mN 44.07462 -0.71.14317 or 44°04'29"N -071°08'35"W
Bits and Pieces
(1757-1828)HALL, Obed, a Representative from New Hampshire; born in Raynham, Bristol County, Mass., December 23, 1757; moved to Madbury, N.H., and thence to Upper Bartlett and engaged in agricultural pursuits; subsequently became an innkeeper; surveyor of highways in 1790; member of the board of selectmen 1791, 1798, 1800, 1802-1810, 1814-1819, and 1823; member of the State house of representatives in 1801 and 1802; appointed judge of the court of common pleas by Gov. John Taylor Gilman; elected as a Republican to the Twelfth Congress (March 4, 1811-March 3, 1813); member of the State senate in 1819; died in Bartlett, Carroll County, N.H., April 1, 1828; interment in Garland Ridge Cemetery, about two miles south of Bartlett; reinterment in Evergreen Cemetery, Portland, Maine.Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present. 

Read more about Obed Hall at another page in this website, here   Read the Hall Ancestry HERE

New Hamphire Post Offices and Postmasters - 1816
Obed Hall 2d is also listed at a Bartlett Postmaster in 1816 and he
earned $4.34.
SOURCE:  Contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Gwen
Hurst -   
It seems Obed 1st was the uncle of this Obed.

OBED HALL 2nd. 1795 -1873 Son of Hon. Ebenezer L. and Lydia (Dinsmore) Hall ; born, Conway, February 23, 1795 ; (Ebenezer was Obed 1st's brother) practiced, Bartlett and Tamworth ; died, Tamworth, May 21, 1873.  In the war of 1812 Mr. Hall was in the military service for a short time, in a company of militia at Portsmouth. His early education was imperfect, and he studied law three years with Enoch Lincoln of Fryeburg, Maine, and two years with Lyman B. Walker of Meredith. He first set up in practice at Bartlett, and about 1820 changed his residence to Tamworth. He was representative in the legislature in 1840 and 1841, in which latter year he was appointed register of Probate for the new county of Carroll. That post he occupied ten years. In 1854 and 1856 he was a state senator.He was a lawyer of respectable acquirements, but preferred to give his time and attention to politics, which did not conduce to his legal progress nor to his pecuniary profit. He gave much attention to his farm, being partial to agriculture. He was public-spirited, and in private life benevolent and kindly.His first wife was Elizabeth Gilman of Tamworth, who bore him one daughter; his second was Caroline E., daughter of John Carroll of Maine. She left him a daughter, who outlived her father.
SOURCE: The bench and bar of New Hampshire: including biographical notices ... By Charles Henry Bell
Cemetery research is an ambitious project that requires many volunteers and/or community input to identify the graveyard locations, both public and information from the headstones. If you have any information to contribute or have an interest in pursuing any part of this project we would like to hear from you. Use the CONTACT tab or speak with any of the Committee members listed here in the upper right column.

The Cobb cemetery is quietly hidden away in the woods about a mile past the former Silver Springs Campground. Also remnants of an old road and a cellar hole.  Roger Marcoux and friends have cleaned up this area since the photo was taken.
photos courtesy Dave Eliason
Jess Davis of Bartlett has been instrumental in compiling this list of Bartlett Cemeteries and taking a personal interest in their well-being. 
 She has been restoring gravestones and whole cemeteries for about 11 years. As a middle school teacher, she has led over a dozen field trips to clean, repair and reset gravestones in Indiana and New Hampshire cemeteries. I am more than happy to edit or transfer memorials--just ask!
 Contact: jessdavis314@yahoo.com   or
 Website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~...
We have a listing of some of the names of the folks buried in these cemeteries.
You can search by Cemetery Name or by the individual's name.

Find it here:  Collections

Hill cemetery stoneThe Hill Cemetery is on West Side Road, on the right about two miles from the Bartlett end.  Look for sharp corner just before the road goes down hill to the river.  There's a driveway with a bamboo patch and faint remains of an old house foundation.  (Very dangerous driveway to exit...visibility very poor.  May be advisable to park somewhere else nearby and walk back to the driveway) 
Bits and Pieces
Dr Leonard M. Eudy

History of the Fifteenth Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, pg 214  1862-1863 By Charles McGregor

History of the New Hampshire Surgeons in the War of the Rebellion,
by Conn Granville Priest

Dr Leonard M. Eudy was born in Bethlehem, New Hampshire on January 8, 1843.  He attended the Bethlehem school system through grade 12.   At the age of nineteen, in September of 1862, he enlisted in Company C 15th Regiment of New Hampshire Volunteers as a private along with his brother, Ephraim, age 25 and his older brother,  William David Eudy, who enlisted on the same day as Leonard.

In December of 1862 Pvt Leonard Eudy boarded the steamer ship Cambria at Brooklyn New York.  Ephraim was left behind due to illness, but caught up with the Regiment later. So far I have found no further reference to William's military service, but he returned to Littleton after serving for 15 months, also in Co. C. His occupation is listed as a farmer, married Maria Woodbury on December 31, 1870,   The Cambria embarked on a twenty-six day cruise from Brooklyn, around Key West and finally ending up in Carrollton Louisiana (New Orleans).

In Carrolton on January 18, Sunday. a cold, east wind was blowing a gale. Charles B. Ela, Company C, was accidentally shot in thigh, and died soon after amputation.  Ela was the tallest man of Company C, and received his wound at the hand of the shortest man of the company, Leonard M. Eudy. They were just relieved from guard, and in a playful mood Ela took on the point of his bayonet a hollow soup bone that lay there, which Eudy undertook to knock off in a jocular way, when his gun discharged its contents into Ela's thigh, completely shattering the bones. Eudy was called the "bantam".   He was a mere schoolboy at the time of this sad accident, and his sensitive nature was so deeply shocked that he never recovered from its effects.

 After a month at Carrollton Eudy's Company took up residence at Camp Parapet about a mile upstream from current day New Orleans.  Life at this camp was described as monotony at its finest.  This was not to last as Company "C" spent the next six months of 1863 fighting in the swamps of Louisiana. They were a part of The Siege of Port Hudson and early in the Civil War the control of the Mississippee was of major importance to both the North and the South.  It's ultimate control by the Northern forces was a critical part of winning the war.

Company C had the dubious distinction of suffering the highest number of deaths  of all the Companies in the Regiment. Of the 71 original members 30 died, only 4 from battle related injuries, the rest from illness.

Both Leonard and Ephraim were mustered out of service in August 1863.  Early in 1865 Leonard commenced his medical education at Harvard University under the direction of Drs. Charles Tuttle and Henry Watson.  In 1870 Leonard began his medical practice in Littleton and moved to Bartlett in 1871. 

While practicing in Bartlett in 1877 an epidemic of small pox broke out in a lumber camp.  Eudy assumed charge of the camp and established a pest house.  Within a few months Eudy himself contracted the disease and died at the age of 34 on November 28, 1877. 

His grave site is a solitary grave at the base of Cave Mountain, surrounded by a black iron fence.  His marker plaque was replaced by a preservation committee led by Roger Marcoux in the late 1990's.   

Eudy, Leonard and Ephraim
Leonard Eudy (right) and Ephraim Eudy (left) about 1863
Eudy grave site
Eudy stone
PO Box  514.  Bartlett, New Hampshire 03812 ...-
Search BHS with Google.  It finds everything! -->--->--->
Bartlett Historical Society

Check our Index
You don't have to know what you're looking for...Just start looking.  Click the files...



Bartlett Historical Society Museum Project
The Renovation and Transformation of the Former
St. Joseph Church into our new headquarters and museum...
Read more about our exciting project
Committees Activities   Beginnings  Main Contents   Villages Tourism    People Stories  Store